Sunday 19 February 2017

Hurtigruten Norwegian Coastal Trip Day 10, 11 and 12

Thought I'd better finish off the trip blog so you know I returned safe and sound 😉

Day 10

The return trip seemed to have fewer long stops and we didn't get off the ship at all today. Also - the fact that we experienced a Force 8 storm during the night and there was torrential rain today didn't give us much of an incentive to get off anywhere.

We saw some spectacular scenery along the way though



and I did quite a lot of this.....


and when I got bored of that - I did a bit of this....


As I have nothing insightful to share with you about Norway today let me tell you about my Zyliss Cafetiere hot mug which you can see in the photos above. Those of you that know me will be well aware I love my coffee in the morning and that I am a real coffee snob - I love my filter coffee, preferably Lavazza. In the past, as well as taking a kettle on holiday with us we have also taken a full size cafetiere - told you I love my coffee! These mugs were a real find. Cafetiere and thermal mug in one.
Here's some close up photo's - I did tell you I did nothing else today.





Another thing I love about them is that one of these mugs starred in Avatar (it was a non credited role)

Image result for colonel miles quaritch avatar


Day 11

Sunrise looked like this


Sadly it was our last full day and we had to pack. We did get off the ship a few times but literally for 10 minutes at a time. If you are thinking of doing this trip I would recommend you do the Bergen to Kirkenes part of the trip (The Northbound leg) then fly out from Kirkenes. The Southbound section of the trip had far fewer longer stops and some of the longer stops were very early in the morning. There were a lot more people getting off on the Southbound leg - particularly at Tromso and Trondheim. I took a photo of empty cabins to show what they are like. The top photo is a (just vacated) three berth cabin - we had one of these. Because it was made up for 3 we had extra pillows and towels which was a bonus. Also the bunks fold away during the day - one becomes a sofa. The bottom photo is a (vacant) 2 berth cabin on Deck 5 showing how they looked made up for the day. NB I took that photo through the window because the cabins on deck 5 have their window looking onto the deck that you can walk all the way round. A very good reason for not having a cabin on deck 5 - unless you don't object to having people wandering in front of your cabin.




Night time looked like this


 Day 12

Luggage out by 9.00 am and cabin vacated by 10.00 am. Then we mooched around the ship until we docked in Bergen at 14.30 pm. The stretch of coast into Bergen is particularly stunning - you can see where Disney got the inspiration for Frozen. 
Bergen itself is also picturesque..






Then we flew home and started planning our next trip!



No comments:

Post a Comment