Wednesday 8 February 2017

Hurtigruten Norwegian Coastal Trip Day 5

There were lots of stops during the night (apparently on the return trip we'll stop at these places again but it'll be daylight).

One main stop today and that was Tromso, known as the Paris of the Arctic Circle, (although I never really got to find out why) population c75,000. We were there for 4 hours so had plenty of time to wander around. As we have now come to expect, the ship docked in the centre of town so we didn't have very far to go into town.

We decided to walk across the Tromsoebrua bridge to visit the Arctic Cathedral. The bridge is 1 km long and gives spectacular views of Tromso.




Norway does colourful skies amazingly well - as well as the greens and blues of the Northern lights you also get pink sunsets!



The Arctic Cathedral is equally spectacular. Built 1965 so same age as me. Perfect place to light a candle and have a few moments quiet reflection. They have a midnight concert here most nights - we get the chance to do that on the return leg of the trip.




As we have also now come to expect the Northern Lights were visible from about 7 pm. We stayed on deck until about 10 pm and they were still active. Hubby finally managed to convince me to try and take a photo and after a few blank shots I finally got it sussed and I was hooked!!

The following are all my own work (if we don't count Hubby setting up the tripod, altering the camera settings and basically telling me what to - 😀).





As I write this the sky is full of clouds so I'm guessing no Northern Lights tonight. Having seen the Lights when we were in Iceland (2015) I didn't think I was that bothered about seeing them on this trip - I was more focused on seeing the whales. Sadly the whales weren't meant to be but the Lights made up for that a million times over.

No comments:

Post a Comment