Sunday 5 February 2017

Hurtigruten Norwegian Coastal Trip Day 2

Today we visited Floro and Maloy but I can tell you nothing about them as the ship docked in them at 04.30 and 07.15 respectively and I didn’t leave my bed! If I’m honest I didn’t even open my eyes! After breakfast – fruit, yogurt and toast – (could have had raw fish but that would have been 3 meals on the run and that’s too much for anyone) we stepped off the boat into Alesund. We were there 3 hours; one of the longer stops on the trip so made the most of it by climbing to the top of Aksla viewpoint. They say the views are breath taking but it wasn’t the views that took my breath away – it was the 418 steps I had to climb to get there. Ok the views were great – here are some photos….




There were also some WW11 bunkers at the top which you could have a nose in.


o - and here's our ship 

Tonight they say there is a good chance of the Aurora Borealis making an appearance. We have gone to bed with the ships info service on in case it happen. They have ship wide announcements all the time; with so many stops they need them to get people on and off in the right places. The announcements come through the phone in your cabin and you can switch them off or on as you want. If the Northern Lights don’t make an appearance in the next 12 days we get a free holiday so…….

UPDATE - No free holiday because this happened at 3am..




Interestingly they advise you to use a tripod to steady the camera when you photograph the Aurora,  as you have the lens open for 30 seconds to take the best photo and you need to hold the camera still. Hubby did all that but as the boat is moving, so is the camera, so all the lights from the town appear as wavy lines. I like it - I think it adds to the photo. But then again that's now 2 nights I've had no sleep so who am I to judge anything!




No comments:

Post a Comment